Loooong Post
I watched two movies in the last few days, namely, “Pursuit of Happiness” and “Letters from
“Pursuit of Happiness”
A meaningful show, especially when we saw that the scene where Lead Character’s Wife leaves him because he is in financial difficulty.
Essentially this show is about a struggle of a man, whose salesman job is not doing too well. And in changing his job to be a stockbroker, he has to undergo a grueling internship without pay.
In those months of internship, he goes through many problems, such as getting chased out of his home, chased out of a motel, lost a friend because his friend decided to cheat him of 14 dollars and a wife who cannot take the stress.
The moral of this story, in essence is the aged “Never give up” and “Pursue your dreams” messages. However, I particularly like this line when he said,
“And it was at that time that I thought about Thomas Jefferson writing that Declaration of Independence. Him saying that we have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And I thought about how he knew to put the 'pursuit' in there, like no one can actually have happiness. We can only pursue it.”
Or when he was trying to explain the difference between the word “possibly” and “probably” to his son, which brought about the following conversation,
Father: Probably means there's a good chance. Possibly means we might or we might not.
Son: Okay.
Father: So, what does probably mean?
Son: It means we have a good chance.
Father: And what does possibly mean?
Son: I know what it means! It means we're not going to the game.
And last but not least, a little joke the son played on his father,
Son: Knock Knock
Father: Who’s there?
Son: Nobody.
Father: Nobody who?
[Son does not answer. Father waits a moment before asking again]
Father: Nobody who?
[Son still does not answer.]
[A moment later]
Father: Ahh. That’s a good one. I like it. Haha.
I would give this show a 4 star rating. Enjoyed myself here.
“Letters from
This show started promisingly enough. With Ken Watanabe, I knew somehow this show had to be something special. In his previous movie, “The Last Samurai”, Ken did a stellar job and once again, he did not disappoint.
As for his character in
Later on in the movie, there was this quote, “Do what is right, Because it is right.” I found this to be highly motivating.
There were flashes of humour within the movie and it was appreciated. Such as the scene where a Japanese soldier decided to “sacrifice” himself and carried bombs with him to a secluded spot, camouflaged him with blood and dirt, and proceeded to lie down and wait for a tank to roll past him so that he could blow the tank apart. Apparently it didn’t happen.
This show did portray the good and bad sides of the
For all this, I would say, Letters from
My day in general was good. I woke early enough to get to get to Shumin’s place and we firstly went to Tampines to settle her SCV stuff. And then we ate at Crystal Jade. Pretty broke now. And then we caught a train down to town. A second time in a few days. We walked around some more, and bought tickets to a movie. Now I have something to say at this point.
Shumin loves taking photos. We took photos EVERYWHERE. In the restaurant, outside the toilet, in the clothes store, outside the cinema. But, she looks good in them.
Anyway, due to the extravagant lunch, we had to go budget for dinner. So we, for the first time in both our lives, snuck in a Delifrance French loaf into the cinema. And that was our dinner. Cool eh? What an idea.
And also, she bought me ice-cream! Good tasting ice-cream. Made me stare and almost drool at all the other flavours available. We must go back and try more okay?
And of course, to end off my long post, we kissed! In front of

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home